British Asparagus Wraps
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
Pack of filo pastry
Garlic or rosemary flavoured olive oil for brushing
Parmesan cheese shavings
You will need....... Saucepan Pastry Brush Scissors Baking Tray An Adult
How to make British Asparagus Wraps ... WASH YOUR HANDS
1. Ask an adult to preheat the oven to 200oc/400oF/Gas Mark 6 and put a
shelf onto the centre runner. (Aga Roasting oven - shelf on top set of runners)
2. Ask an adult to help you steam the asparagus for 3 minutes until just tender, drain, refresh in cold water and set to one side.
3. Unwrap the filo pastry and cut in half lengthways, cover with a damp tea towel to make sure it doesn’t dry out.
4. Take one sheet of filo at a time, lay it out flat and brush it with olive oil, sprinkle some parmesan cheese shavings in a row down the centre and lay 2-3 asparagus spears on top so that the heads are sticking out.
5. Gently roll them up and lay then on a greased baking tray with the seam underneath.
6. Brush the tops with more olive oil and sprinkle a little more parmesan over them. Repeat until you’ve used up all the asparagus.
7. Ask an adult to put the tray into the oven for around 12-15 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Ask an adult to remove from the oven and move to a wire rack to cool.
©Splat Cooking Ltd 2009