Ingredients: for 12 cupcakes
- 150g soft butter or margarine
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon good quality cocoa powder
- 150g blackcurrants
- 1 courgette or beetroot, grated.
For the icing:
- 100g blackcurrants
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 500g fondant icing sugar
How to make Surprise Chocolate Cakes… WASH YOUR HANDS
- Ask an adult to put the oven on to 180c / Gas Mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, flour and cocoa and mix well, add blackcurrants and courgette or beetroot and gently fold in.
- Split the mixture between the cupcake cases and Ask an adult to put the muffin tin into the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Ask an adult to heat the blackcurrants and caster sugar in a small saucepan and cook over a low heat until the blackcurrants ‘collapse’ and the juices flow.
- Remove from the heat and sieve into a bowl, squashing the fruit down to extract as much juice as possible.
- Place the fondant icing sugar into a mixing bowl and gradually add the blackcurrant juice mixing until the icing sugar becomes glossy and sticky, add a little water if you need to but not too much as you want the icing thick and sticky.
- Ask an adult to remove the cakes from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack, ice the cakes and eat.