Ingredients: for 4-6 people
1 x small to medium pumpkin (1.2kg)
1 x tbsp olive oil
1 x red onion
2 x carrots
850 ml vegetable stock
Freshy grated nutmeg
A little salt and freshly ground pepper
You will need ....... Chopping Board Sharp Knife Peeler Roasting Tin
Round Bladed Knife Dessert Spoon Pastry Brush Medium Food Bag Saucepan Liquidiser An Adult
How to make Pumpkin Soup ... WASH YOUR HANDS
1. Ask an adult to preheat the oven onto 180C/Gas Mark 4 (Aga roasting oven - shelf on oven floor).
2. Ask an adult to cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds using adessert spoon. Cut each half into 4 again and brush with half the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and put flesh side down into the roasting tin. Ask an adult to put it into the oven for 25 minutes.
3. Ask an adult to finely chop the onion. Peel the carrots and ask an adult to chop them. Ask an adult to melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and carrots, cook over a gentle heat until soft and the onion is translucent, this should take around 20 minutes.
4. Ask an adult to remove the pumpkin from the oven, set aside to cool.
5. Add the stock and milk to the vegetables and gently bring to a simmer
6. Using the round bladed knife remove the pumpkin flesh from the skin and cut into chunks. Add to the saucepan, bring back to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes..
7. Ask an adult to help you pour it into the liquidiser and puree until smooth.. Taste and if it needs it add a little more salt / pepper. Spoon into warmed soup bowls and serve with warm soda bread.