Ingredients: Makes 12
good pinch of saffron
2 teaspoons milk, and a little extra
150g caster sugar
500g plain flour
1 tablespoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon allspice
3 tablespoons currants
You will need … Weighing scales Teaspoon Pestle and mortar Mixing bowl Tablespoon Wooden spoon Baking tray Cooling rack An adult
How to make soul cakes… WASH YOUR HANDS
1. Ask an adult to put the oven on to 180c / Gas Mark 4.
2. Crush the saffron to a powder in the pestle and mortar, add the milk and pound to combine.
3. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, add the eggs, flour and spices, beat the mixture well. Stir in the currants and add the saffron and milk mixture. Add a little more milk if the mixture is too dry, it should form a soft dough.
4. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into flat cakes around 5-6cm across. Place on a greased baking tray.
5. Ask an adult to put into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. Leave them on the tray to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.